Connect with us

Us

Texas closes bars, cuts restaurants amid growing coronavirus

Published

on

texas bars 45.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled


Texas Governor Greg Abbott has ordered the state’s bars to close and restaurants to drop to half capacity, as the state has reported 17,000 new cases of coronavirus in the past three days.

The Republican governor also said that outdoor gatherings of 100 or more people should be approved and has ordered the closing of rafting and tubing businesses after people have regularly been to popular river spots since the state reopened.

Abbot is also urging residents to stay home during what he has called a “massive outbreak.”

The order comes two months after the state was one of the first and fastest to reopen amid the pandemic.

“Right now, it’s clear that the increase in cases is largely due to certain types of activities, including Texans who congregate in bars,” said Abbott. “The actions in this executive order are essential to our mission to quickly contain this virus and protect public health.”

On Thursday, the state hit a record for both new infections and hospitalizations, reporting 5,996 new cases of COVID-19 and 4,739 hospitalizations.

The state’s progressive infection rate also reached nearly 12%, a level not seen since the state closed broadly in mid-April and above the 10% threshold at which Abbott said in May it would be a ” red flag “in its reopening plan.

Before the surge in new cases this week, Abbott remained secretive in his response to the growing number of cases over the past month. His announcement on Friday comes as an abrupt change in light of the new alarming numbers.

It also comes after Abbott announced Thursday that the state would put its reopening on pause and told hospitals to stop all elective surgeries to free up hospital space for a possible flood of COVID-19 patients.

Abbott did not say when the bars would reopen.

With posts

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Us

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle hit Beverly Hills in an SUV

Published

on

0442DED7 A266 448E 9DE5 803DAEA91A2F.jpegquality90stripallw1200 scaled


Do what I say, not while I drive?

Despite their green schedule, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry recently traveled through Beverly Hills in a gasoline-powered SUV, the Daily Mail reported Saturday.

Photos obtained by the Post show the former royal couple appearing in a black Cadillac Escalade.

Online reviews have called the low miles-per-gallon Escalade as eco-friendly as a car owner, the Mail noted.

The couple has previously been criticized for urging the planet to save itself from global warming, but to use a private jet for international travel.

Last week, in a video condemning racial injustice, the couple encouraged Britain to “promote prosperity, democracy and peace, amplify the voice of small states and protect the environment.”

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Us

San Gabriel mission devastated by morning fire

Published

on

San Gabriel Mission.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled


The historic Southern California San Gabriel Mission, built in 1771, was devastated by a morning fire on Saturday.

There were no injuries.

According to NBC News, the nearly 250-year-old Roman Catholic mission contained many priceless artifacts that date back to its founding.

Much of the interior and roof were damaged by the fire, which is being investigated by the San Gabriel Fire Department.

Captain Antonio Negrete of the fire department called the scene “heartbreaking.”

Archbishop José Gómez tweeted photos of the destruction asking community members for prayers as repairs begin for the Southern California landmark.

Our beloved #SanGabrielMission, founded in 1771, devastated by fire before dawn. San Junípero Serra, pray for this land that you helped found.

Junipero Serra, who founded the mission, recently came under scrutiny for his colonization and brutalization of the Native Americans who occupied the land before settling there.

The Serra statue in Los Angeles collapsed in June amid numerous protests that erupted across the country calling for the removal of many racist statues.

Another Serra statue was beheaded in Monterrey in 2016.

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Us

John Wayne’s exhibition will be dismantled at USC due to the actor’s perceived intolerance

Published

on

1EA9D790 1245 4B23 A9D9 3F00EB972567.jpegquality90stripallw1200 scaled


A film school in California is canceling its John Wayne show because of what administrators call the late actor’s story of bigoted and homophobic statements.

The School of Motion Picture Arts at the University of Southern California announced last week that it would remove the interior exhibit, which featured stock photos and costumes from movies, accessories, and memorabilia.

The move was announced by the school via Twitter.

Wayne, who attended USC in the 1920s, told Playboy magazine in 1971: “I believe in white supremacy.”

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Trending