Connect with us

Us

Portland companies say cops did nothing as looters wreaked havoc

Published

on

oregon looting gems 01.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled


Businesses in downtown Portland destroyed by looters a month ago say police officers did nothing to stop the robbers, and that they still feel abandoned by police and city officials, according to a new report.

Rioters invaded the once vibrant retail district during a five-hour wave of looting on May 30 that cleaned stores like family-owned Kassab Jewelers, The Oregonian reported.

Business owners were horrified to see a surveillance video showing 70 to 100 people looting the store during the first night of protests for the police murder of George Floyd.

The policemen had told them they were going to respond, but never did, the family says.

“We felt that we had to manage on our own, that we were alone and that we had to do whatever was necessary to protect ourselves,” said Rana Kassab, the company’s president. “This is more than a store. My dad and mom built this from scratch. What they built was raped and destroyed. It has been a great emotional struggle. “

Kassab Jewelers had only been open nine days after closing for coronavirus when looters caused damage and losses estimated at $ 2 million.

Other store owners in the area had similar experiences: They say their businesses were affected even when police officers were nearby.

Phil Tobin said he saw looters clean up his jewelry and H&B loans in a live security video.

“You can see the police heading down 3rd Avenue south,” Tobin told the Oregonian. “You can see the flashing lights. And there are a crowd of people around my store that already had their windows open. And no one stops.

“I think it is fair to say that I am angry and hurt,” Tobin said.

Ninety-three business owners in the center suffered more than $ 23 million in losses so far this year, primarily due to the pandemic. But $ 4.8 million of that was property damage sustained in the riots.

None of the businesses interviewed by the Oregonian said they had been contacted by the mayor’s office or the police department about their claims.

A police spokesman said 16 suspected looters were arrested that night, although surveillance video showed dozens more looting the stores.

“Our resources have focused on life safety issues and priority service calls for a good part of the past few weeks,” said police spokeswoman Lt. Tina Jones. “The members of our community, including the owners of our businesses, are valuable and it hurts us to see the devastation caused in our community. We are doing everything we can with the resources we have available to respond to emergency service calls and investigate crimes that have been reported. “

The mayor’s office did not respond to the Oregonian.

Portland has been rocked by anti-police protests and looting since last month, with protesters setting fire to the police compound.

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Us

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson tells the country to “go back to work”

Published

on

200711 boris johnson coronavirus.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled


Get back to work, and that’s an order, according to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Johnson wants employers to tell their subordinates to return to the office next week whenever it is safe to do so, the Daily Mail reported Saturday. It is all to get Britain’s devastated economy, which shrunk by 25% during March and April, back to work.

Officials must lead by getting off their couches and returning to their desks at work, Johnson said. He also intentionally asked companies like Goldman Sachs to encourage employees to return to the office.

“I want people to go back to work as carefully as possible,” Johnson said in a question-and-answer session with members of the public.

“It is very important that people go back to work if they can, now. I think everyone has taken the ‘stay home if you can’ (advice). I think we should now say ‘go back to work if you can.’

British Finance Minister Rishi Sunak said on Wednesday that the government would pay bonuses to employers returning to work to temporarily laid off staff.

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Us

California to Release 8,000 Prisoners to Stop the Spread of COVID-19

Published

on

200711 california prisons coronavirus.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled


California will release 8,000 prisoners in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19 within state fences.

“These actions are taken to ensure the health and safety of the incarcerated population and staff,” Ralph Diaz, secretary of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, told Reuters.

Only prisoners with less than one year remaining on their sentences will be eligible to be released. Those with a violent history or convictions for sexual offenses will be excluded from the program.

As the United States continues to face tens of thousands of new cases daily, prisons have been particularly affected. In California’s 35 state jails, nearly 2,400 people tested positive for the virus.

Across the country, states have been releasing nonviolent criminals for similar security concerns, including Michael Cohen. The former dishonored attorney for President Trump was later ordered to return to the clink after he was arrested for dinner with his wife at a posh Upper East Side restaurant last week.

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Us

Teen dies after shark attack in Australia

Published

on

200711 mani hart deville australia shark attack.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled


An Australian teenager is dead after being bitten by a shark in the country’s 10th attack by maneaters this year.

Mani Hart-Deville’s legs were mutilated by what authorities believe was a great white shark. As the creature made multiple passes to the 17-year-old, his beachmates tried to defend themselves, according to news.com.au.

Hart-Deville was treated on the beach but died on the spot, Reuters reported. The beach was closed.

“What happened there this afternoon would shock everyone,” Jim Simmons, the mayor of nearby Clarence Valley, said in a statement, reported by The Guardian. “It is terribly shocking. All our condolences, from people in the area, go to the boy’s family.”

The attack occurred on Wooli Beach, on the country’s east coast, near Coffs Harbor, approximately 240 miles south of Brisbane.

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Trending