Connect with us

Us

Florida coronavirus spike affects alcohol consumption in Miami bars and beaches on July 4

Published

on

miami dade beachs coronavirus.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled

Florida has teamed up with Texas to ban bar drinking, while Miami has moved to close beaches and parks, all just in time for the July 4 holiday weekend, authorities announced Friday.

Drastic measures come as Florida coronavirus cases continue to rise. Under the bar ban, companies that get more than half of their alcohol sales can still sell take-away alcoholic beverages.

The Florida bar ban comes just three weeks after the companies were reopened.

But Florida confirmed nearly 9,000 coronavirus cases in a single day on Friday, a record, the Miami Herald reported.

Meanwhile, Texas ordered the closing of bars on Friday morning. This week, coronavirus cases in the state topped 5,000 in a single day for the first time.

“Effective immediately, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation suspends local alcohol consumption in bars across the state,” Halsey Beshears, the department’s secretary, tweeted Friday morning.

Beshears added under the order “nothing changes for restaurants,” where the majority of sales come from the sale of food.

Meanwhile, Miami Mayor Carlos Giménez condemned beach goers for openly ignoring security measures against the coronavirus and announced the closing of the festivities during the day.

“As we continue to see more positive COVID-19 results among young adults and increased hospitalizations, I have decided that the only prudent way to stop this recent increase is to crack down on recreational activities that elevate our community. overall risk, “Giménez said in a statement.

The order, which runs throughout Miami-Dade County, comes as the state grapples with a dramatic spike in COVID-19 cases. Florida set and broke single-day records for new cases twice this week after reporting two consecutive days with at least 5,000 positive test results.

florida miami-dade coronavirus
Floridians drink and mingle on Miami Beach today.EPA / Cristobal Herrera

Giménez in his harsh statement said that there were clearly “too many” businesses and people who ignored the rules that required masks inside public establishments or outside when 6 feet of social distance is not an option.

“If people are not going to be responsible and protect themselves and others from this pandemic, then the government is forced to step in and restore common sense to save lives,” he added.

The order also prohibits any gathering in the county of more than 50 people. Fireworks displays planned for the weekend can only be viewed from your home or parked cars.

The mayor warned that the drastic measures could extend beyond the weekend.

“The closure can be extended if conditions do not improve and people do not follow the new normal rules that require the use of masks always inside commercial establishments and outdoors when social distancing of at least 6 feet is not possible,” said Giménez .

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Us

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle hit Beverly Hills in an SUV

Published

on

0442DED7 A266 448E 9DE5 803DAEA91A2F.jpegquality90stripallw1200 scaled


Do what I say, not while I drive?

Despite their green schedule, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry recently traveled through Beverly Hills in a gasoline-powered SUV, the Daily Mail reported Saturday.

Photos obtained by the Post show the former royal couple appearing in a black Cadillac Escalade.

Online reviews have called the low miles-per-gallon Escalade as eco-friendly as a car owner, the Mail noted.

The couple has previously been criticized for urging the planet to save itself from global warming, but to use a private jet for international travel.

Last week, in a video condemning racial injustice, the couple encouraged Britain to “promote prosperity, democracy and peace, amplify the voice of small states and protect the environment.”

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Us

San Gabriel mission devastated by morning fire

Published

on

San Gabriel Mission.jpgquality90stripallw1200 scaled


The historic Southern California San Gabriel Mission, built in 1771, was devastated by a morning fire on Saturday.

There were no injuries.

According to NBC News, the nearly 250-year-old Roman Catholic mission contained many priceless artifacts that date back to its founding.

Much of the interior and roof were damaged by the fire, which is being investigated by the San Gabriel Fire Department.

Captain Antonio Negrete of the fire department called the scene “heartbreaking.”

Archbishop José Gómez tweeted photos of the destruction asking community members for prayers as repairs begin for the Southern California landmark.

Our beloved #SanGabrielMission, founded in 1771, devastated by fire before dawn. San Junípero Serra, pray for this land that you helped found.

Junipero Serra, who founded the mission, recently came under scrutiny for his colonization and brutalization of the Native Americans who occupied the land before settling there.

The Serra statue in Los Angeles collapsed in June amid numerous protests that erupted across the country calling for the removal of many racist statues.

Another Serra statue was beheaded in Monterrey in 2016.

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Us

John Wayne’s exhibition will be dismantled at USC due to the actor’s perceived intolerance

Published

on

1EA9D790 1245 4B23 A9D9 3F00EB972567.jpegquality90stripallw1200 scaled


A film school in California is canceling its John Wayne show because of what administrators call the late actor’s story of bigoted and homophobic statements.

The School of Motion Picture Arts at the University of Southern California announced last week that it would remove the interior exhibit, which featured stock photos and costumes from movies, accessories, and memorabilia.

The move was announced by the school via Twitter.

Wayne, who attended USC in the 1920s, told Playboy magazine in 1971: “I believe in white supremacy.”

.

News
Source From ”Nypost.com”

Continue Reading

Trending